Birmingham County FA League 1st Round Matches 

22nd April 2018.

The new Birmingham County Walking Football League kicked  off at Dudley Campus at 10. am on 22nd April. The weather was fine with a light spattering of rain now and again. 

The league now has an Over 50s and and Over 60s Divisions. Hartshill Strollers have one team in each division at present.

The Over 60s ,fielding a completely new squad, due to 8 players being unavailable as a result of injuries, work commitments and England trials, in the first games, took part in an even contest with Coleshill Strollers and in a game of few chances finished 0-0.

Straight in to the next game, against Coleshill Town, Hartshill went behind early but continued to compete and were rewarded in the last 10 seconds of the game with a well taken equaliser by Graham Crew. 

After a 20 minute break Hartshill took to the field against Shard End and went ahead early with an early strike from Graham Crew resulting in a 1 - 0 win to Strollers.

They now go to the next round with 2 draws and a win under their belt.

A special mention must be made for Tony Drew, a relatively new member of the club, who was prepared to take on the role of goalkeeper and performed with honours.

A great effort by all the squad, and it bodes well for future competitive events.


Squad: Tony Drew, Barry Geyton, Les Evans, Martin Willetts, Dave Lunn, Robin Carter, Stewart Dudwell.

Report by Barry Geyton.

Hartshill Strollers over 50s   

The first game was against Birmingham Whites,  one of 2 teams that Birmingham entered,  a cagey start by both teams on a pitch that wasn't really that big.  As the game went on,  it looked like one goal would win it,  Ray Woodhall duly obliged,  within a couple of minutes,  Birmingham equalised with a shot that sneaked in by the near post. The game ended 1 - 1.

The second game was against Birmingham Blues, Hartshill started the game well against tough opposition, there was shots from both teams until the deadlock was broken by Rob Dunning who waltzed around the defence to slide one into the net with his left foot, not long after that,  Gary Davis found himself one on one with the Birmingham goalkeeper, who had the ball chipped over him as he made a dive. Hartshill won the game 2 - 0.

The third game was against Bedworth, who didn't look too thrilled to see a shot go whizzing past the post within the first 5 seconds, Hartshill took over from the start, there was neat passing moves from Hartshill until the ball got to Gary who scored,  Gary added second soon afterwards when a pass split the Bedworth defence,  Gary was looking for his hat trick and just minutes from the end,  he got it, placed firmly into the net from the edge of the area.  Hartshill won the game 3 - 0.

The fourth game was against Coleshill,  this turned out to be another close game, Coleshill are always worthy opponents,  shots from both sides were close although not enough to seriously trouble any of the goalkeepers, halfway through the game,  Richard Field scored with a left footer,  from then on,  Hartshill had command of the game, Ray Woodhall then turned on the ball and slotted into the bottom corner,  this was the final goal of the game. Hartshill won the game 2 - 0.

Player of the day was Gary Davis. 

Squad was Paul Roche,  Pete Williams, Pete Grove,  Ivan White, Ray Woodhall, Richard Field, Mark Grazier, Gary Davis, Rob Dunning and Kevin Weston.

Report by Kevin Weston.