17th June 2018--WFA CUP 2nd Round v Birmingham at Summerhill School. Won 1-0.


This second round clash matched us up against our old adversaries and friends Birmingham WFC. The match started with both teams matching up all over the pitch and with little space for either team to create any meaningful openings, although Hartshill did have the majority of the possession. During the first half Hartshill were forced to make a change after Clive Stokes suffered a groin injury taking whilst overlapping and striking a shot on goal.

The only goal of the game came early in the second half when Steve Nicholls well struck low shot from about 12 metres  found the right hand corner of the net. The Birmingham players tried to rally, but made little impression, goalkeeper Dave Seddon ensuring that the players in front of him forced them to shoot from long range. Hartshill continued to probe and as Birmingham took more chances and could have scored more if it had not been for the fine goalkeeping of the Birmingham keeper. The match was played in a competitive, but good spirit.


Squad: Dave Seddon, Clive Stokes, Tony Beckley, Barry Geyton, Steve Nicholls, John Cooper, John Green, Richard Delahaye, Pete Checketts.


WFA Qualified Referee: Tony Skelton


8th July 2018 BCWFL League Cup at Bedworth


Hartshill were drawn in a group with sides from Bedworth Utd, Coleshill Town and Birmingham WFC. On a baking hot day with temperatures in the region of 30 degrees, Hartshill started brightly against Bedworth and quickly raced into a 2 goal lead with goals from Steve Nicholls and John Cooper, and although there were numerous chances, no more goals.

Our second and third group games were tight affairs both ending 0-0. The group finished with Hartshill and Coleshill at the top with identical points and goals so a coin was tossed Barry Geyton called heads and Hartshill claimed 1st place. The semi- final matched Hartshill with the other Coleshill team in a game of few chance that finished 0-0 and so went to penalties. Again Hartshill won the toss and elected to go second in the shoot-out. Paul Roche Hartshill goalkeeper was the hero saving the 1st penalty. Hartshill scored all 5 penalties to progress to the final. Scorers were: Richard Delahaye, Steve Nicholls, John Cooper, Dave Seddon & Barry Geyton .


The final against a Birmingham side featuring many of their 1st choice players also ended without goals and also went to penalties. This time Hartshill lost the toss and had to go second. Paul Roche was again the hero saving one and doing enough to put the player off who shot wide. Hartshill kept the same order for the penalties. This time the shoot out went all the way after Steve Nicholls was unlucky as his spot kick hit the bar and rebounded wide of the goal. Scorers were: Richard Delahaye, John Cooper, Dave Seddon & Barry Geyton.


This was a fantastic effort by the Magnificent Seven: Paul Roche, Dave Seddon, Barry Geyton, Tony Drew, Steve Nicholls, Richard Delahaye, John Cooper