Home Games 19th November 2017.

First round of the 60+ winter shield V Birmingham and a friendly v Hindlip for the 50+ squad

The 1st leg of the Winter Shield took place this morning against our old foes Birmingham. Preperation was not great for either side as Birmingham arrived with only 6 players. Hartshill were rocked in the pre-match warm up when Dave Seddon was struck on the head and needed lengthy treament on a deep cut on his head. 

There was no-one to referee, so Barry Geyton agreed to take the role.

Bernard Bustin and Archie Jones took full responsibilty for managing the team.

The two teams were evenly matched until the Birmingham Player- Manager stopped a full blooded shoot on the edge of his penalty in his midriff and the ball fell to Dave Lunn to slot the ball home their keeper for 1-0 to Hartshill Strollers.

The game passed without further incident as Hartshill ran the clock down.

A great job by the management and the team to ensure Hartshill held onto their lead and ran out comfortable 1-0 winners.

The match was played in a sporting manner and we all look forward to the return leg at Birmingham, probably in the New Year.

Hartshill Strollers Over 60s Squad: Dave Seddon, John Green, Steve Nicholls, John Cooper, Richard Delahaye, Eddie Tromans, Dave Lunn. Les Evans and Terry Smith were unused members of the squad.

Report by Barry Geyton

It was a sunny Sunday morning when Hindlip visited Summerhill School to have a friendly against Hartshill Strollers over 50s, it was decided before the game that we would have 7 a side instead of the usual 6 a side.

The game started well for Hartshill when Rob Dunning found the corner of the net after a just a couple of minutes, continued pressure was applied and soon Rob found the net again, the Hindlip goalkeeper then made a couple of good saves before Adrian Chilton made it 3-0, Hartshill were starting to become dominant in attack and soon it was 4-0 when Kevin Weston blasted one between the goalkeepers legs, Hindlip had a couple of chances but never really troubled the Hartshill goalkeeper, Pete Gibbons.

The second half started with substitutions on both sides, this was a more evenly matched contest and both sides had chances to score, but both goalkeepers were on fine form, the Hindlip goalkeeper, who was different to the one in the first half, making an exceptional close range save, Hindlip were more dominant in midfield in the later stages of the game but couldn't find a way to score, the match ended 4-0 to Hartshill Strollers.


Hartshill team, Pete Gibbons, Ivan White, Pete Williams, Adrian Chilton, Mark Mullett, Rob Dunning, Kevin Weston, Pete Grove, Dave Shaw and Mark Grazier.


Man of the match, Rob Dunning.


This is the last game of the year for our over 50s and we all look forward to next year when we will be targeting tournament victories.


Special thanks to Mark Grazier for refereeing the first half.

Report by Kevin Weston