TRA Fund Raising Cup for over 60's team

8th April 2018.

The original planned game, postponed when the snow came in March finally took place on this mild spring morning.

Sheffield arrived at Summerhill school, full of confidence after they victory in the Albufeira tournament last month.

The format for this competition is for 3 x 20 minutes games to take place with only the result counting, goal difference does not apply.

The first game opened with Sheffield controlling possession, but were thwarted by Hartshill goalkeeper Dave Seddon whenever they managed a shot on goal, each ball was fiercely contested all over the pitch and the game ended in a 0-0 draw.

The second game followed a similar pattern and again Dave Seddon kept Hartshill in the tie with a series a excellent saves and this too ended 0-0.

The deadlock was finally broken after about 5 minutes of the final game when Sheffield intercepted the ball in the middle of the pitch and drew the Hartshill defenders before finishing with a strong cross shot into the corner of the goal. The game became more open with several half chance opportunities at both ends before Steve Nicholls managed to force the ball into the Sheffield net, for what seemed like an equaliser. Unfortunately the referee judged that he had entered the penalty area before making contact with the ball. In the frantic moments at the end of the game, emotions  boiled over resulting in a "handbags confrontation" between a Hartshill and a Sheffield player. The referee felt this merited expulsion and both players watched the closing moments from the side line.

At the final whistle the players from both sides shook hands and wished each other well, no hard feelings. Everyone was impressed with the officiating of the referee.

Good luck to Sheffield FC in the next round against Matlock. 

Our squad:- Dave Seddon, Clive Stokes, John Green, Steve Nicholls, Richard Delahaye, John Cooper, Eddie Tromans, with Robin Carter and Barry Geyton who were not used.

A big thanks to Mark Grazier for his excellent refereeing and to Kevin Weston as Timekeeper.

Report; Barry Geyton.