Over 60's Winter Shield v Birmingham 10th February 2018.

The second leg of the Over 60s Winter Shield v Birmingham took place at Beechcroft Tennis Club on Saturday 10th February 2018 ko. 2.45 pm. Hartshill came into the match with a 1-0 lead from the first leg.

It was agreed that the match would be 7 a side with two 25 minute halves. 


The first half was an even contest with Hartshill containing a lively Birmingham attack, and keeper David Seddon was rarely troubled. Birmingham did have the ball in the net direct from a free kick, but the goal was disallowed as all free kicks are indirect. Hartshill were restricted to long range efforts.


The second half followed a similar pattern with Hartshill happy to soak up the pressure, knowing a draw was good enough to win back the Shield. Disaster struck for Hartshill from a misplaced pass, which reached the unmarked Birmingham frontman, who had a clear run on goal. Despite goalkeeper Dave Seddon's best efforts he could not prevent their striker from scoring to level the tie. There was no further scoring at the tie 1-1 on aggregate.


Discussions were had with both sets of players and it was agreed to play extra time of 7.5 minutes each way with a 3 player penalty shoot out if their was no further score. The extra time finished without further incident and it went to penalties. Birmingham went first and scored. as did Hartshill. Birmingham's second penalty also went it, but Hartshill missed theirs. Birmingham scored with their third penalty and retained the Shield.


Hartshill Strollers Over 60s Squad : Dave Seddon, Barry Geyton, Tony Beckley, Eddie Tromans, Steve Nicholls, John Cooper, John Green and Bernard Bustin.

Report by Barry Geyton.

The Birmingham Version posted on Facebook:



A disciplined and organised Over 60’s team overturned a 1-0 first leg deficit to retain the winter shield. Birmingham had started well as the impressive Paul Feeney hit the post after 5 minutes following a fine flowing move. The referee had cause to constantly pull up both sides for running infringements as the greasy surfaces seemed difficult for both teams to relax their movement. Dave Whatmore also came close before half time as Birmingham did the majority of pressing with Feeney pulling all the strings in Birmingham’s compact midfield, only a couple of John Cooper long range efforts were all Hartshill could offer in the first half, which were never likely to test keeper Les Dawson.

Shortly after the break Whatmore broke free from the shackles of the tight Hartshill defence to slide his precision finish under the body of the advancing keeper. There only looked to be one winner then as Birmingham still continued to press without actually creating many clear cut opportunities. Keith Laishey and Paul Foster had proven a solid pair at the back for the dark blues giving their midfield licence to go forward. As full time approached another blistering shot by Feeney fizzed wide and 15 minutes of extra time still continued to produce little in the way of clear cut chances, Whatmore, Feeney and Steve Evans all immediately volunteered for the penalties and their confidence was obvious as the all converted to win the tie and the Winter Shield 3-1.