Winter Sheild 2017

Harsthill Strollers v Birmngham over 60's

Saturday 4th February at Birmingham

The 2nd match of the series took place at Beechcroft Tennis Club in Hall Green ko 2.30pm. Saturday 4th February 2017 and the Strollers are now 1 game up in the 4 match series.


Evenly contested for first 10 minutes before the ball broke to John Green, who steadied himself to open the scoring, shooting low past the Birmingham keeper. Hartshill continue to control the remainder of the first half with possession football and went further ahead after about 20 minutes when Barry Geyton intercepted a cross-field pass and carried the ball forward before slotting the ball to the right of the diving keeper.


The second half passed of without any further shots on the Harshill goal, however the away team should have increased their lead, but were prevented by a string of fine saves from the Birmingham goalkeeper. 


Dave Seddon had only a single save to make in the 50 minute match


The match was controlled by an excellent referee and passed off without incident, although our serial transgressor was given a second warning for running.

Hartshill 2 , Birmingham 0.


Both teams are looking forward to the next match in the series.


Hartshill team: Dave Seddon, Barry Geyton, Tony Beckley, Steve Nicholls, John Cooper, John Green.

Unused subs: Bernard Bustin & Archie Jones.


A big thank you to all the squad for being there and a big thank you to Birmingham for their hospitality, we all enjoyed the samosas and chips after the game.

Here below is a report by Birmingham.

BWFC 0 v Hartshill 2

Hartshill deservedly ran out two nil winners against a below par BWFC team in the second game of the four match series. Poor defending led to both goals in the first half and Hartshill never looked back as soon as they got their noses in front.Birmingham huffed and puffed in the second half without really troubling Hartshill who were happy to sit on their lead until the end of the game. BWFC will have to up their game if they are to be competitive in the remaining two games. The series currently stands at 3-1 to Hartshill with two games left to play.